Dr. William A. Taylor was the first pastor of the Florida Avenue Baptist Church. His grandson who grew up in the church was the late jazz master Dr. Billy Taylor. Florida Avenue Baptist Church is unusual in that for 100 years, the church has been located on the corner of Boher and Florida Avenue, NW. As a cornerstone of the LeDroit Park neighborhood, FABC has had a conscience commitment to the community.
From its founding, the church has been clear that theirs is a ministry both inside and outside the walls of the building. What follows is an excerpt from the inaugural sermon of Dr. Taylor, which he delivered at his installation, June 13, 1913. The purpose and mission of Florida Avenue Baptist Church was stated clearly then and is upheld clearly now.
Centennial Photo Gallery